Position Description: Studio School Manager
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Education
Work Schedule: M-F, some evenings and weekends
The Figge Art Museum has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, creative, and collaborative Studio School Manager to join a dynamic team of museum professionals and provide leadership to advance the educational efforts and strategy of the Figge.
Reporting to the Director of Education, this position will be responsible for overseeing studio classes and programs, as well as the Family Activity Center space. This involves research and planning, content creation, and collaboration. The Studio School Manager will partner with museum colleagues across departments, as well as community organizations and area school districts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This demanding and rewarding position is responsible for:
▪ Developing, scheduling, implementing, and evaluating all studio classes
▪ Working annually with the Director of Education to develop the Studio School budget (expenses and revenue), managing it throughout the year, and providing quarterly reports
▪ Overseeing current instructors and studio interns, and recruiting prospective instructors
▪ Collaborating with area non-profit organizations and school districts
▪ Implementing policies and procedures for studio instructors
▪ Purchasing supplies and keeping studios stocked with general and specific supplies for classes and programs, as well as for ongoing museum needs
▪ Managing all aspects of class registration, which includes but is not limited to inputting class information, keeping registration records, creating and distributing rosters, and communicating with students about class details or questions
▪ Processing class payments in the museum’s database and working with the business office to handle payments by cash, check, card, and gift card
▪ Producing content on the studio classes and programs for marketing and PR purposes
▪ Managing contracts and evaluating studio instructors
▪ Keeping the studios and Family Activity Center in clean and working order
▪ Preparing studios for classes
▪ Creating, facilitating, and instructing art activities for tour groups, study trips, birthday parties, and scout groups
▪ Overseeing Family Activity Center and creating new content
▪ Developing hands-on art projects related to special exhibitions and permanent collections that engage visitors of all ages
▪ Developing, scheduling, and implementing special programs and workshops that are responsive to audience needs, including on-site programs that engage student and professional artists
▪ Developing and facilitating special programs for business and community partners, including professional development sessions
▪ Organizing and facilitating annual Portfolio Day and Figge Factory high school programs
▪ Assisting with general departmental programs and needs
▪ Other duties as assigned
▪ The ideal candidate will have a B.A. or B.F.A. degree or higher with an emphasis on studio art and will have demonstrated managerial experience. Willing to work with candidates with an expansive experience and knowledge of studio art and teaching in place of degree. Experience in non-profit work is ideal but not necessary.
▪ Ability to understand and follow strict museum guidelines and procedures, including ongoing updates to health protocols, such as the need to be compliant with national guidelines like masking or vaccines
▪ Broad understanding of art media and process
▪ Demonstrated managerial experience and ability to keep within a budget
▪ Ability to lead studio instructors with minimal supervision
▪ Ability to collaborate with colleagues within the Education Department and across the museum
▪ Ability to prioritize, delegate, and complete projects in a timely manner while meeting deadlines
▪ Ability to work nights and weekends on a regular basis
▪ Ability to work indoors in office and studio environments, as well as outdoors on occasion
▪ Ability to do physical activities, such as moving tables and chairs, preparing art materials, sitting or standing for 3 hours at a time, reaching, and lifting
▪ Strong written and verbal communication skills, as this position requires a considerable amount of time communicating by phone, email, and in person with instructors and class participants ▪ Teaching experience with varied age groups in a school or studio setting is preferred ▪ Favorable background check
The Figge Art Museum brings art and people together and enriches our community with the experience of art through education, collections, exhibitions, and preservation. Located on the Mississippi River in Downtown Davenport, the Figge is the premier art exhibition and education facility between Chicago and Des Moines. Its 110,000 square foot landmark glass building, designed by British architect David Chipperfield, is home to one of the Midwest’s finest art collections and combines collection and exhibition galleries, education studios, an auditorium, a café, and a bustling lobby. The Figge presents over 20 rotating exhibitions of historical and contemporary art each year as well as art classes, educational programs, special events, and outreach sessions that inspire and attract regional, national, and international audiences of all ages.
The Figge offers a competitive package of salary, benefits, and paid holidays and vacation, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team at one of the leading cultural institutions in the Quad Cities. The Figge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. We aim to attract and retain talented people from all backgrounds. We are committed to a diverse, inclusive, equitable, accessible, and safe environment and value varied ideas, perspectives, insights, skills, and experiences within our workplace.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] Please indicate “Studio School Manager” in the subject line. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All applications will be kept confidential.