Grant WoodU.S. 1891-1942
The Luxembourg Gardens 2001.0012
Wood's first trip to Paris was in the summer of 1920. He left again in 1923, staying abroad for over a year the second time, enrolling at the Académie Julien in Paris, the academy for foreign students. He painted in Italy and the French provinces as well as in Paris, and sold several of the paintings when he returned to Cedar Rapids. It is believed that this painting was done on the second trip. It is of the Luxembourg Garden on Paris' Left Bank. The Luxembourg Palace, seen to the left, was built in the seventeenth century by Marie de Medici, the French queen, who had it modeled on the Palazzo Pitti in her native Florence.
BACK TO COLLECTION